Church Lane, Churchill
Vicar: Rev'd Andrew Hiscox
Park View, Maysmead Lane, Langford, BS40 5HX
Tel: 07970 011502
Churchwarden, Tricia Avery
Tel: 01934 852360
The Norman church of St. John the Baptist is in an idyllic rural setting nestling at the foot of the Mendip Hills at the edge of the village of Churchill. Originally, it is thought to have been in the heart of the parish. However, in the 14th century Churchill may well have been a victim of the plague and it could be for this reason that the village is a short way away.
Records show that there was a Norman chapel on this site in 1180, the nave or centre aisle of which remains today. The stone font is believed to be 800 years old and to have originated from these times although the wooden font cover was added in 1879 when there was a revival in gothic designs.
St. John the Baptist tends towards the traditional worship style with a BCP Matins service and Communion each month as well as Common Worship communion and Family Services. When there is a fifth Sunday, a joint Service is held with the Methodist Church and the service alternates between the churches.
Festivals, such as Advent, Christmas, Easter and Harvest are particularly popular since the medieval ambience of the church lends a special significance to the celebrations. A service is held and a sermon preached every Good Friday following a legacy of Mary Plumley, daughter of Thomas Latch, in 1672.